MS4101 – Film
Topic Chosen – The main topic of the film is where character within the film has come face to face with their doppelganger. We as a group have to come up with different themes and genres where it will be possible to show this scenario.
Brainstorming – We firstly came up with many different ideas which we thought may work and give us the greatest impact to our audiences.
Genre – Thriller
We eventually came to the agreement of choosing an experimental genre. We thought that this would be the most beneficial for us all. As we are new film maker/ media producer we wanted to create something which we think has never been done before.
Location – UEL
– Costa Coffee
We wanted to use all of these locations to show different scenes throughout the film.
Props – Masks
This will be the only prop we will use within the short film. We decided on this idea because doppelganger is someone who looks like yourself. However as that will be quite difficult, we wanted to use something unique so we could use two different people without worrying about if that characters look the same. Also another main reason for using this method is because we want to portray to our audiences that everyone is the same. There is no difference between two different people and we have been socialised in this way through various different medium. This therefore links to the sense of self which we are learning in the module MS4100. Another reason of using this concept is because we got inspiration from the film ‘Batman’. We got more of the inspiration from the character ‘The Joker’.
Story Outline / Synopsis
A character comes face to face with their faceless doppelganger. They go about their lives as normal but are continuously stopped along the way. Character A is awoken by his nightmares and they are shown to the audience through the mask. Character A is woken into a ‘real world’. His nightmares come to life and the masks are thoughts which come and go. During the way to the coffee shop the nightmare doppelganger arrives. The nightmare occurs due to the fact the character is alone. When meeting his doppelganger he gets a sense of relief and his faceless face is therefore is realised. However the nightmare doppelganger receives the loneliness by facing the world alone.
2nd November – 1st lot filming needs to be complete
9th November – 2nd half of the filming and any other shots must be completed.
13th November – Complete editing during this week.
- Medium shot – gives audience more time to think about the emotions portrayed on a character.
- Long shot – audience are able to see the location and surrounding of the character.
- Close up – to feel the tension we are trying to portray to our audiences.
We are using these three shots because we have decided not to use any zooming, panning or tilt to make it more of a challenge for us to create something which is power
- Myer Deren – An American producer who created an experimental film. She had continuous reoccurrence throughout the film. We want to use a similar feature in our film. Also her film is in black and white and we wanted to use this idea to create more atmosphere.
- Clockwork Orange – Image and sound don’t correspond to one another. We wanted to use this idea also because we are creating an experimental film which gives us more room to be creative with our ideas.
- Batman – Joker – the happy masks represents what we want to show. However still just posing as they are not really happy.
A clockwork orange (1971) Directed by Stanley Kubrick , Warner Bros
Batman (2008) Directed by Christopher Nolan (DVD) , Warner Bros
Fight club (1999) Directed by David Fincher , Fox 2000 Pictures
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943) Directed by Maya Deren